For complete information about the copyright registration process, you can visit https://www.copyright.gov/registration/.
To register your lyrics, composition, or sound recording, you must submit the following to the USCO:
- A completed online application form, which can be accessed at https://www.copyright.gov/registration/.
- Choose “Work of the Performing Arts” for registering lyrics or composition only, or Select Form PA if submitting offline
- Choose “Sound Recording” option for the “Type of Work” designation for registering just the sound recording, or registering both the sound recording and the composition/lyrics (only if you own both), or select Form SR if submitting offline
- The filing fee
- Check the USCO website for the latest fees
- A deposit of your work
- This can be a digital file uploaded through the online registration system
You can also register a group of musical works or sound recordings if they are on the same album, and learn more about the registration process at https://www.copyright.gov/registration/performing-arts/ or the following circulars issued by the copyright office:
Copyright Registration of Musical Compositions and Sound Recordings: https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ56a.pdf
Copyright Registration of Musical Compositions: https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ50.pdf
Copyright Registration of Sound Recordings: https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ56.pdf